Monday, April 14, 2014

What went wrong, part 2

Hello readers of mine.  How are you all doing?  I'm doing okay but feeling melancholy.

Some time last year, I published a blog about my cousin 'Alexandria' and now I have an update.  For those of you who don't have time to read my blog, "What went wrong", let me refresh your memory. During the fall of 2012, my cousin 'Alexandria' blocked me on her Facebook.  I wasn't going to investigate why she blocked me but I was very hurt that she did such a thing.

I met her when she was a baby back in the mid 1980s.  I saw her and I thought she was so adorable.  I remember seeing her on her first Christmas and I thought she was so cute.  I asked her mother all sorts of questions about her and I asked if I could hold her and her mother told me 'no' but I could still look at her.  I watched her grow up to be a very beautiful girl.  She played with me a lot when she was growing up and I viewed her as the little sister I never had.  She was sweet, kind and she was always happy to see me.  Then sometime in the mid 1990s after the deaths of my grandparents, my family fell by the wayside with her family.  The times we saw each other were starting to get scarce, only seeing each other for graduations, weddings and my Great Uncle' funeral.

In the meantime before I had my daughter, I saw her at the mall with her friends.  I remember being so happy to see her but she didn't feel the same.  She acted like she didn't want to see me and talk to me and after that encounter, I felt really hurt.  I wondered what happened to the sweetheart, kind little girl I remembered back when our families were tight.  My husband told me she was a teenager and they can be rude sometimes.  Then I told my parents about when I saw her at the Burnsville Mall and they were taken aback by how rude she was to me as well.  If the situations were reversed and if Alexandria was me and I was her, I would take a moment to catch up with my cousin that I rarely see anymore.  Alexandria didn't.  I understand she was with her friends but that's no reason to blow someone off like that.

My daughter was born and I didn't see her again until my daughter was 2.  I went to a baby shower for her sister in law and she was in attendance.  I tried to talk to her but she was so busy talking to other people and she seemed to be disinterested in talking to me so I left her be.  The shower was an awkward occasion for me because it's been so long since I've seen her family and the more time that had passed, the more I became a stranger to her and the rest of the family.

With the invention of social networking, I found her on Facebook and I friended her but she didn't respond to my request right away.  It took her some time before she accepted me and things were going okay.  I loved the pictures she posted and I was proud of her and how successful she became.  Her life was looking very good.

Then in the fall of 2012, I saw that her posts were gone from my newsfeed.  For a while, I thought she got tired of Facebook and deactivated her account but I soon found out that she blocked me.  I was dumbfounded and depressed that she did such a thing.  For a long time, I wanted to investigate why she blocked me so about a month ago, I contacted her brother.  I told him I missed her and I missed seeing her pictures and I told him she blocked me.  I asked him if he knew why she did that and he said he didn't know.  He wasn't aware that she did such a thing.  But I took it with a grain of salt.  Maybe he does know why but won't tell me.  I understand because she's his sister and he doesn't want to cause her any trouble or anything like that.  Right or wrong, he must defend and protect her the best way he sees fit if you know what I mean.

I've thought of going to her other brother and her sister to see if they could enlighten me about her choice but maybe I shouldn't.  Alexandria has made it clear that she doesn't want me in her life anymore so I should learn to accept it.  I still love her and I'm proud of all her accomplishments.  If she doesn't want me in her life anymore, that's fine.  I hope she has a good life.

UPDATE:  During Easter, my parents were talking about her family and the good old days of when we were close.  I told them about her blocking me and it turns out she blocked my sister and brother, too.  I wonder what her deal is?  We've done nothing to hurt her or to make her feel uncomfortable.

UPDATE: 6-26-14
I found out my cousin got married in an ocean side wedding.  I was looking at my husband's page and looked her up and there was a picture of her standing next to the ocean in her wedding dress.  Her family was nowhere in the pictures she posted,  Maybe she abandoned her family or something.  I may never know what happened but her sister, brothers and her mom haven't made any announcements about her getting married.  My favorite cousin on my dad's side called me about a month ago and he didn't mention anything either.

No comments:

Post a Comment